Monday, October 4, 2010

Job Interviews- Coulda, Woulda, Shoulda...

I recently had a job interview for a dream job opportunity. Oddly enough, I wasn't even very nervous going into the interview. I had prepped myself during the 2.5 hour car ride by repeatedly telling myself I was "good enough, smart enough and gosh darnit, people like me".
I went in with a smile on my face and only a few butterflies in my stomach. In general, I thought the interview went well. The 2 men interviewing me were very laid-back and relaxed. The interview lasted well over an hour and I felt a good rapport with them. I even left the place thinking that I might have a shot at getting the job.
However, my confidence progressively plummeted during the car ride home and over the next couple of days afterward. I was more nervous that night thinking at the possible outcome of the interview than I had been that morning going into the interview.  I kept ruminating about what I said during the interview and the answers I gave to certain questions. All I could think about was what I should have said and all of the better answers I had come up with after hours of thinking about each question I was asked.
Hindsight is always 20/20 and it's easy to think of great answers to certain questions when you have had hours to reflect on them. I can't help but wonder if the other candidates for this position were better, worse, or pretty much equal to me in terms of how the interview went. They said they were interviewing 5 people in total. I would guess that I am more likable/ qualified than half of my competition, so my most accurate guess at my chance of getting this job would be %33.33.
I'm anxiously awaiting the verdict from the men who interviewed me, but I have prepared myself for the worst. Of course, I am still trying to think positive, but I've decided to take a realistic approach and remind myself that I might have gotten the job and I might not have. Either way, I will survive.

No comments:

Post a Comment